Is homeowners insurance required in Wyoming?
No, homeowners insurance is not required by law in Wyoming. However, in order to get a home loan, your mortgage lender will likely require you to obtain a certain amount of insurance coverage.
What does homeowners insurance cover in Wyoming?
Every policy is different, but home insurance policies in Wyoming typically come with several standard coverages.
- Dwelling (Coverage A). This coverage helps you pay for damage to your home from a covered event, such as a fire, windstorm, lightning or hail.
- Other structures (Coverage B). This coverage is intended to help cover structures that aren’t connected to your home, like a fence or shed.
- Personal property (Coverage C). This coverage helps you repair or replace your personal belongings if they are stolen or damaged.
- Loss of use, or additional living expense coverage (Coverage D). This coverage can help you pay to stay somewhere else if your home is uninhabitable due to covered damage.
- Personal liability (Coverage E). This coverage helps pay for accidental property damage or injuries you are liable for.
Typical home insurance policies in Wyoming cover damage caused by events such as:
- Vandalism and theft
- Lightning strikes
- Falling objects
- The weight of snow or ice
Flooding, a common risk in parts of Wyoming, is not covered. However, special flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) may be available.
Farmers Flex Personal Home coverage in Wyoming
Beyond the basic coverages, Farmers Flex Personal Home offers a wide range of options that let you customize your policy, such as:
- Guaranteed Replacement Cost
- Water Backup and Sump Overflow
- Emergency Mortgage Assistance
- Declining Deductibles®
- Claim Forgiveness
How much does homeowners insurance generally cost in Wyoming?
The average premium for home insurance coverage in Wyoming is $1,244 per year1, according to a 2019 report (the most recent data available) by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC). That’s about the same as the national average of $1,272 a year, according to same report. However, insurance costs in most states have changed since then. Also, the amount you pay may be different, depending on things like the value and age of your home, how much personal property you want to cover, what deductible you choose and risks specific to your area.
Wyoming home insurance discounts
Farmers® offers a variety of savings opportunities for eligible home insurance customers in Wyoming, including:
- Welcome Discount
- Home Buyer Discount
- Multi-Policy Discount
- Loyalty Discount
- Claim Free Discount
See more information and additional discounts that may be available in Wyoming.
Its lilting song is one of the first bird calls heard in a Wyoming spring. Maybe that’s why Wyoming was the first state to choose it as the state bird. Five other states have followed suit. — Wyoming Secretary of State
More coverage options in Wyoming
Learn From Experience
Read real-life stories about insurance, renovations, home safety and more from pros and homeowners like you.
1 Based on average premium for HO-3 type open perils homeowners policies.