Farmers Flood Insurance

You don’t have to live near a body of water to be at risk for flooding — it can happen anywhere it rains. Even historically dry areas have been known to flood without warning. So it may not be a matter of whether you need flood insurance coverage, but how much and what kind.

Ask your local Farmers® agent to run a “flood zone determination” on your property. The federal government’s National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) has established two types of zones: 

  • High risk: Homes in these areas are more likely to be damaged by flood. The government requires homeowners to have flood coverage when they have loans from federally regulated or insured lenders.
  • Low-to-moderate risk: Flood insurance coverage isn’t required in these areas, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t desirable. Low-to-moderate risk zones account for 25% of all flood insurance claims, and receive one-third of federal disaster assistance for flooding.

There are two basic kinds of flood insurance policies:

Standard Risk

Covers properties in high-risk zones, as determined by the N F I P.

Preferred Risk

Provides coverage in low-to-moderate risk zones at a reduced cost.

Coverage limits are based on the value of the building and its contents, subject to limits established by the N F I P:
Property type Building Contents
Property type






Property type






What does Flood insurance cover?

Flood insurance covers direct physical loss to your building and its contents caused by flooding

Building property coverage includes:

  • Building and foundation
  • Electrical and plumbing systems
  • Central air conditioning equipment, furnaces, and water heaters
  • Refrigerators, stoves and built-in appliances such as dishwashers
  • Permanently installed carpeting over unfinished flooring
  • Permanently installed paneling, wallboard, bookcases and cabinets
  • Window blinds
  • Detached garages, up to 10% of building property coverage

Contents coverage includes:

  • Personal belongings, such as clothing, furniture and electronic equipment
  • Curtains
  • Portable air conditioners
  • Portable microwave ovens and portable dishwashers
  • Carpets not permanently installed over unfinished flooring
  • Washers and dryers
  • Freezers and food contents
  • Valuable items such as original artwork and furs, up to $2,500
  • Replacement cost coverage is not available for personal property

Other flood insurance coverages includes:

  • Debris removal at federal minimum wage, not subject to deductible
  • Loss avoidance measures, $1,000 limit, no deductible
  • Increased cost of compliance — flood-proofing, relocation, elevation and demolition, subject to limitations and qualifying criteria

Getting Flood insurance

Flood insurance is available in all 50 states to communities that participate in the National Flood Insurance Program. Your Farmers agent can provide full details on your eligibility and coverage options. Contact an agent for information on our flood insurance rates and get a free quote today.

Talk to a Farmers® agent about insurance for your home.

Learn about all the options and potential discounts so you can choose the coverage you want. Find an agent

Francis Barra lived in Far Rockaway, New York, when Hurricane Sandy struck.

"We had all the stuff you can't replace in the basement: photos, books, marathon medals," he says. "In 15 minutes, water filled the basement to the ceiling." 

Read the story: Genius Ideas for Disaster-Proofing Heirlooms and Mementos in Your Home