Connect with an agent
What to Look For in a 5th Wheel Insurance Policy
The biggest mistake many fifth wheel owners make is insuring their rig on an auto policy. At claim time, they may discover they don't have the specialized coverages they need. And that can be a very unpleasant surprise!
Here are some of the myths and realities that you may want to consider when looking for an insurance policy for your fifth wheel:
Fifth-Wheel Insurance Coverage Options
Coverages Included With Your Policy
Here are some of the fifth wheel coverages we offer that aren't included in a typical auto policy:
- Comprehensive Coverage for protection from just about any direct, sudden, and accidental loss, including: collision, fire, smoke, floods, landslides, hail, windstorms, animals, vandalism, low branches or overhangs, theft and lightning.
- Coverage for Attached Accessories, including awnings, satellite dishes and TV antennas.
Farmers offers important optional coverages that let you customize your policy. Some coverages may be subject to company approval or may not be available in all states. These are a few of the most popular coverage options:
- Total Loss Replacement Coverage that protects your fifth wheel from the effects of depreciation. If your new-model fifth wheel is destroyed within its first five model years, and you're the original owner, we'll pay to replace it with a brand new one of similar kind and quality - no matter what it costs as long as you replace the fifth wheel. In years six through ten, we'll give you up to what you paid for it originally toward the purchase of another fifth wheel.
This option can save you literally thousands of dollars when compared to typical auto policies, which pay only the Actual Cash Value (ACV) of your fifth wheel at the time it's destroyed. That's the current value of your fifth wheel.
- Emergency Expenses Coverage that pays for lodging or travel home if your rig is damaged or destroyed by a covered loss more than 50 miles from home.
- Campsite/Vacation Liability Coverage that provides liability coverage when you are parked and using your fifth wheel as a residence.
- Replacement Cost Coverage on personal belongings that are destroyed or stolen.
- TraveLine® Towing and Roadside Assistance eliminates the hassle of buying a separate towing plan. Towing, jump starts, roadside service, flat tire changes, fuel delivery, and locksmith services are just a toll-free phone call away. There are no out-of-pocket payments required, either. Just sign and drive. What's more, your fifth wheel - and your tow vehicle - are covered, regardless of who is driving!
- Full-Timer Coverage that provides liability protection very similar to a homeowners policy. While an auto policy will only provide liability protection when you are on the road, a Farmers Full-Timer policy covers you when you are parked and using your rig as a residence, too.
- A special option for fifth wheelers is that we can insure your medium duty tow truck you use to tow your fifth wheel travel trailer, provided the medium duty tow truck's GVWR exceeds 10,000 pounds.
- Our Special Program for Stationary fifth wheels gives you extensive comprehensive and contents coverage if you use your fifth wheel as a seasonal or permanent residence. This includes liability coverage that covers liability, medical payments to others, and property damage claims caused by an accident for which you are held liable. This program provides you with additional protection since your auto or homeowners policies may not extend coverage to you.
Policy discounts vary by state and chances are one or more will apply to your policy. Please contact a Farmers agent for a Fifth-Wheel insurance quote and see what specific discounts are available in your area.
This brief summary is not a policy document. Please read the actual policy documents for your state for important details on coverages, exclusions, limits, conditions and terms. If there is any conflict between this summary and the policy documents, the policy documents will control. Not all products and discounts are available in every state.