Is homeowners insurance required in Massachusetts?
No, homeowners insurance is not required by law in Massachusetts. However, in order to get a home loan, your mortgage lender will likely require you to obtain a certain amount of insurance coverage.
What does homeowners insurance cover in Massachusetts?
Every policy is different, but home insurance policies in Massachusetts typically come with several standard coverages.
- Dwelling (Coverage A). This coverage helps you pay for damage to your home from a covered event, such as a fire, windstorm, lightning or hail.
- Other structures (Coverage B). This coverage is intended to help cover structures that aren’t connected to your home, like a fence or shed.
- Personal property (Coverage C). This coverage can help you repair or replace your personal belongings if they are stolen or damaged.
- Loss of use, or additional living expense coverage (Coverage D). This coverage can help you pay to stay somewhere else if your home is uninhabitable due to covered damage.
- Personal liability (Coverage E). This coverage helps pay for accidental property damage or injuries you cause through negligence.
Typical home insurance policies in Massachusetts cover damage caused by events such as:
- Vandalism and theft
- Lightning strikes
- Falling objects
- The weight of snow or ice
Flooding, a common risk in parts of Massachusetts, is not covered. However, special flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) may be available.
Home insurance coverage options in Massachusetts
Farmers gives you multiple options for covering your home and personal property. You can customize your policy to suit your lifestyle and dwelling type:
- Single-family home
- Mobile or manufactured
- Seasonal or vacation
- Rental property
- Older home
How much does homeowners insurance generally cost in Massachusetts?
The average premium for home insurance coverage in Massachusetts is $1,667 per year1, according to a 2020 report (the most recent data available) by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC). That’s more than the national average of $1,311 a year, according to same report. However, insurance costs in most states have changed since then. Also, the amount you pay may be different, depending on things like the value and age of your home, how much personal property you want to cover, what deductible you choose and risks specific to your area.
Massachusetts home insurance discounts
Farmers offers a variety of savings opportunities for eligible home insurance customers in Massachusetts, including:
- Protective devices
See more information and additional discounts that may be available in Massachusetts.
Massachusetts’ state bird may be tiny, with a tiny brain to match, but it can remember thousands of spots where it hid food. — All About Birds
More coverage options in Massachusetts
Learn From Experience
Read real-life stories about insurance, renovations, home safety and more from pros and homeowners like you.
1 Based on average premium for HO-3 type open perils homeowners policies.