What is the average cost of homeowners insurance in Nebraska?
The average premium for home insurance coverage in Nebraska is $1,586 per year1, according to a 2020 report (the most recent data available) by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC). However, insurance costs in most states have changed since then. Also, the amount you pay may be different depending on things like the value and age of your home, how much personal property you want to cover, what deductible you choose and risks specific to your area.
Is homeowners insurance required in Nebraska?
No, homeowners insurance is not required by law in Nebraska. If you have a home loan, however, your mortgage lender will likely require you to obtain and keep a certain amount of insurance coverage.
What does homeowners insurance cover in Nebraska?
Every policy is different, but home insurance policies in Nebraska typically come with several standard coverages.
- Dwelling (Coverage A). This coverage helps you pay for damage to your home from a covered event, such as a fire, windstorm, lightning or hail.
- Other structures (Coverage B). This coverage is intended to help cover structures that aren’t connected to your home, like a fence or shed.
- Personal property (Coverage C). This coverage helps you repair or replace your personal belongings if they are stolen or damaged.
- Loss of use, or additional living expense coverage (Coverage D). This coverage can help you pay to stay somewhere else if your home is uninhabitable due to covered damage.
- Personal liability (Coverage E). This coverage helps pay for accidental property damage or injuries you cause through negligence.
Typical home insurance policies in Nebraska cover damage caused by:
- Vandalism and theft
- Lightning strikes
- Falling objects
- The weight of snow or ice
Flooding, a common risk in parts of Nebraska, is not covered. However, special flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) may be available.
Farmers Flex Personal Home coverage in Nebraska
Beyond the basic coverages, Farmers Flex Personal Home offers a wide range of options that let you customize your policy, such as:
- Guaranteed Replacement Cost
- Water Backup and Sump Overflow
- Emergency Mortgage Assistance
- Declining Deductibles®
- Claim Forgiveness
Nebraska home insurance discounts
Farmers® offers a variety of savings opportunities for eligible home insurance customers in Nebraska, including:
- Welcome Discount
- Home Buyer Discount
- Multi-Policy Discount
- Loyalty Discount
- Claim Free Discount
See more information and additional discounts that may be available in Nebraska.
Designated the official state bird in 1929, these songbirds still thrive on Nebraska’s prairies. The meadowlark is very easy to identify by its bright yellow cheeks, neck and chest, with a distinctive black “v” accenting the chest. — United States Now
More coverage options in Nebraska
Learn From Experience
Read real-life stories about insurance, renovations, home safety and more from pros and homeowners like you.
1 Based on average premium for HO-3 type open perils homeowners policies.