Frequently Asked

General FAQ

Could I get a discount based on where I’m employed or because of my membership with a group or association?

  • Yes, you may be eligible for an additional discount because of your employment with an employer, or due to your membership in certain associations or groups. We recommend entering your employer’s or association’s name when you are quoting, so that we can offer you our best possible price.

What’s the process for filing a claim?

  • Immediately following a loss, call Farmers GroupSelect’s claim service team at 1-800-854-6011.  Once you’ve reported your claim to us, a claim specialist will contact you within 24 hours to provide further instructions.  


Can I make changes online to my policies?

  • We are enhancing our on-line insurance platform and, during this time, you will not be able to make changes, but you can view and print policy documents and make one-time payments.

Auto Insurance FAQ

Optional Auto Coverages That May Be Available to You:

  • New Car Replacement - Depending on the type of policy available in your state, if your new vehicle were totaled within a year of the purchase date or 15,000 miles - whichever came first - your vehicle would be replaced with a new vehicle with no deduction for depreciation.4
  • Major Part Replacement – Depending on the type of policy available in your state, coverage is available for certain, major parts of the vehicle, such as tires, brakes, and batteries, without deduction for depreciation.5 This does not apply to the theft of tires or batteries, unless the entire vehicles were stolen. Coverage is not available on some policy forms, nor in NC.
  • Glass Repairs – You can choose coverage for if your windshield were chipped or cracked and could be repaired, repair would be made with no deductible.2
  • Legal Defense – Not optional but included with your auto coverage - If you were sued for an incident arising out of the use, operation, or maintenance of an insured vehicle, coverage is available for associated legal fees. Coverage is also available for the reimbursement of up to $200 per day for lost wages due to attendance at hearings or trials, at our request. Some policy forms offer a higher limit.
  • Lease or loan gap coverage – Available optional coverage to pay off the lease or loan in covered, total loss accidents, even if the amount exceeded the replacement cost of the vehicle at the time of loss.1 , 2
home images

Home Insurance FAQ

How could I lower my homeowners/condo/renters insurance premiums?

  • Your premiums could be lower, if your home had fire prevention systems, such as fire alarms, automatic sprinkler systems, smoke detectors, or fire extinguishers. Theft prevention systems, such as central burglar alarms and deadbolt locks, may also qualify you for discounts.
  • Bundle your auto and home insurance. 
  • Consider choosing a higher deductible. 
  • If your employer or association offers access to our home insurance program, you could save even more. Call an agent to find out if this is available to you.


I’ve never had an insurance claim. Shouldn’t my home/condo/renters insurance costs be going down?

  • Even if you’ve never had a claim, your insurance costs could still rise over time. Premiums are based on a number of factors in addition to loss history, including, for example:
    • Age of home and type of construction
    • Cost to rebuild your home from scratch; cost of materials and regional labor costs
    • Risk of loss associated with where you live. (wildfires, hurricanes, crime rate and other weather patterns), as permitted by applicable state law.
    • Rising cost of insurance fraud

Condo FAQ -  image of people on sofa

Condo FAQ

Why do I need condo insurance?

  • As a condo owner, your condo association probably has a master insurance policy that covers a portion of the physical building and grounds. However, the association’s policy doesn’t cover your personal property, private structures, or property that’s likely your responsibility under your property owner’s agreement. This means updates and improvements you’ve made to your condo, your personal liability, and your legal costs would not be covered by the association’s policy, if something happened in your condo and you’re sued. Having your own policy can provide a source of protection just for you and just in case.

What’s covered with condo insurance?

The following features are available in our condo insurance policies:

  • Replacement cost coverage is available in the event the insured experiences a loss to  property owned by him/her with respect to the condo unit. This includes any improvements or upgrades made to the condo.1
  • Loss assessment protection is available to provide coverage in case a common area were damaged from a covered loss and the damage wasn't entirely covered by the condo’s master insurance policy. For example, if an elevator sustained damage from lightning and the cost to fix it exceeded what the master policy covered, the condo owners may be asked to contribute to make up the difference.
  • Legal defense costs can be covered, if the insured were sued. Coverage is available to help pay for attorneys, document preparation, or other related legal expenses.
  • A personal excess liability policy provides an added layer of liability protection beyond what's in underlying policies. This additional coverage can help the insured  be more prepared for the unexpected and protect him/her from needing to rely on valuable assets to pay for judgments above underlying policy limits.
  • Coverage is available for personal belongings worldwide, so that no matter where they were, coverage would be available if they were damaged or stolen.
  • Water backup coverage is optional coverage that is available to pay for loss, if water backed up and damages the condo or one’s belongings. Coverage is available for back ups through sewers or drains and sump pump overflows.1

Renter's FAQ

Why is renter's insurance valuable?

  • Renter’s insurance provides protection for one’s belongings in case a covered cause of loss happened, subject to policy limits and policy terms and conditions. While your landlord is responsible for many things in your rental unit (such as plumbing and the roof), unless your landlord were found to be responsible for the loss, his/her insurance policy would not cover your personal belongings.

What does renter’s insurance cover?  

  • All of our renter’s insurance policies have coverage available for the following:
    • Personal property coverage is available if a covered cause of loss happened and the insured needed to replace his/her belongings, subject to policy limits, terms, and conditions. If there were a loss, coverage would be available for the cost to replace, up to the actual cash value of the damaged or stolen property, again, subject to policy limits, terms, and conditions.1
    • Replacement cost loss settlement option provides coverage if a covered cause of loss happened and the insured needed to repair or replace the property. Our policies don’t deduct for depreciation (up to the coverage amount). This applies to any improvements, additions, or alterations made to the rental unit at your own expense.1
    • Personal liability protection is available to provide $100,000 of coverage (or more, if choosen), if someone else were hurt when he or she was in the rental unit. It also has coverage available for property damage caused to others that the insured is held responsible for. Coverage is also available for legal defense costs.
    • Personal belongings are covered worldwide, so that no matter where they are, they'd be covered, if they were damaged or stolen.

Landlord's Rental Dwelling FAQ

What types of insurance for landlords do you offer?

We have two types of policies: Landlord’s Rental Dwelling insurance and Landlord’s Rental Condo insurance. Whether you’re a landlord with multiple rental properties, or you’re just leasing your home or condo, we’ve got a policy to suit your needs.1

What does insurance for landlords cover?

The following benefits are available with our policies:

  • Property coverage, which covers one’s rental house, meaning one built for one to four families, or a rental condo unit. The policy also has coverage available for private structures on the property (like a garage or shed), and for personal property, like tools, appliances, or furniture that’s stored on the property or used by your tenants. This coverage even includes items that are out for repair or service.
  • Loss of rental income provides coverage when one’s rental property suffers a covered loss and the landlord loses rent because his/her tenant has to live elsewhere. The coverage is available for the loss of rental income during the repair or rebuilding period.
  • Liability coverage has coverage available for one of the biggest risks landlords face: responsibility for injuries that occur on their rental property. This coverage includes personal liability, which has $100,000 of coverage available (or more if chosen) if someone got hurt or property damage occurred and the landlord were found responsible. This also has coverage for  legal defense costs arising out of ownership of the rental property and includes medical payments to others. So, if someone were hurt on your property, coverage would be available up to $1,000 (or more, depending on the policy) for medical costs.
  • Personal injury coverage provides protection for a landlord from lawsuits alleging wrongful entry, wrongful eviction, and invasion of the right of private occupancy.

What other features and benefits do landord's insurance policies offer?

In addition to our basic policy, we offer two different options to protect landlords from out-of-pocket costs, if they ever had to repair or rebuild their investment property:

Extended limits coverage can safeguard against unexpected increases in building and repair costs, providing protection if the dwelling’s replacement cost exceeded the policy’s dwelling limit. If the amount of insurance selected for the dwelling prior to the loss turned out to not have been enough, Extended Limits Coverage can provide 25% more insurance to cover the extra need.


Boat FAQ

What types of boats can be covered by Farmers GroupSelect?

  • Coverage is available for boats up to 31' in length with values up to $150,000, that are used for private pleasure and recreation. Farmers GroupSelect doesn’t cover commercial uses, nor boats one owns and charters out.


What types of boat safety discounts and rewards does Farmers GroupSelect offer?

  • When you complete a boater safety course you may qualify for an additional discount. You may also qualify for additional discounts by having additional safety equipment on board when you are on the water.


Motorcycle & RV FAQ

Are there coverage suspensions or lay-up periods for motorcycle or RV insurance policies?

  • No. Once your policy goes into effect, coverage stays with you 24/7, 365 days a year, subject to policy terms and conditions.


What types of RV insurance discounts does Farmers GroupSelect offer?

  • Our multi-policy discount lets you save more when you have two or more policies, including RV, boat, auto, and home insurance. Check out our Bundle and Save page for more details.

Are trailers covered by the policy?

  • We do have optional trailer coverage, which you may add onto your policy. This offers the same broad physical damage coverage to protect owned trailers that are used to transport one’s motorcycle, snowmobile, or other recreational vehicle.

In the event of any conflict between the coverage descriptions on this site and those in the policies themselves, the language in the policies prevails.

*Savings based on the average nationwide annual savings in 2021 reported by new customers who called the Farmers GroupSelectSM employee and affinity member call center, switched their insurance to a Farmers® branded insurance policy issued through the Farmers GroupSelect employee or affinity member program, and realized savings. Potential savings vary by customer and may vary by state and product. Statistics do not reflect sales of products sold on Agent360SM

Auto and Condo FAQ

See policy for restrictions.

See policy for details and restrictions. All coverages not available in all states.

3 Requires comprehensive and collision coverages on at least one vehicle insured under the policy. See policy for restrictions and state applicability.

4 Subject to deductible and state availability. See policy for restrictions. Does not apply to leased, substitute, or non-owned autos. Applies within the first 12 months, or, depending on policy form, the  first 15,000 miles of ownership, whichever comes first.

5 Subject to deductible and state availability. See policy for restrictions.

Renter’s FAQ

1 Subject to policy exclusions.

2 Details vary by state.

Landlord's Rental Dwelling FAQ

Landlord's rental dwelling insurance is not available in all states.

Motorcycle, RV, and Boat FAQ

1 See policy for restrictions.

2 Medical payment benefits not available in all states nor for all types of vehicles.

3 Subject to policy terms and conditions

4 Refer to the applicable policy for coverage details, conditions, and exclusions.

5 See policy for restrictions. A deductible may apply. Does not apply to leased, substitute, nor non-owned vehicles. This coverage does not apply to theft of tires nor batteries, unless the entire vehicle were stolen. Not available in all states.

6 Not applicable to off road recreational vehicles.

Boat insurance is not available in all states.

Coverage, rates, discounts, and policy features vary by state and product, and are available in most states to those who qualify. Policies have exclusions, limitations, and terms under which the policy may be continued in force or discontinued. For costs and complete details of coverage, contact your local Farmers GroupSelect representative or the company.

Advertisement produced on behalf of the following specific insurers seeking to obtain business for insurance underwritten by Farmers Property and Casualty Insurance Company (a MA licensee) and certain of its affiliates: Economy Fire & Casualty Company, Economy Preferred Insurance Company, Farmers Casualty Insurance Company, Farmers Direct Property and Casualty Insurance Company (CA Certificate of Authority: 1669-1; Warwick, RI), Farmers Group Property and Casualty Insurance Company (CA COA: 2460-4; Warwick, RI), or Farmers Lloyds Insurance Company of Texas, all with administrative home offices in Warwick, RI. Coverage, rates, discounts, and policy features vary by state and product and are available in most states to those who qualify. Policies have exclusions, limitations, and terms under which the policy may be continued in force or discontinued. For costs and complete details of coverage, contact your local representative or the company.