Landlord Insurance: Coverage For Rental Properties

If you rent your property, Farmers offers insurance that meets real-world expectations. We specialize in helping landlords like you get the coverage you want at a good value.

Do you rent out residential property you own? Maybe it’s an investment, or maybe it’s a core source of income. Either way, you should consider protecting your property and your interests as a landlord.

The following are eligible for Landlord / Rental Property coverage:

  • Landlords with multiple properties
  • Single, duplexes, triplexes, and quads
  • Row homes
  • Older and lower-value homes
  • Homes with minimal cosmetic conditions
  • Properties under minor renovation
  • Vacation rental homes
  • Short term rentals (daily, weekly, monthly)

Types of coverages and settlement options:

Comprehensive Property Coverage

We cover most direct, sudden, and accidental physical losses that aren't specifically excluded in your policy.

Named Peril Coverage

"Perils" (such as fire, explosion, lightning, windstorm and hail) that are specifically named in your policy are covered, subject to policy exclusions and conditions.

Liability Coverage

This provides coverage if you're found legally responsible for an accident that causes injury to someone on the rental premises.

Optional Replacement Cost

Purchase Optional Replacement Cost coverage and receive a settlement that reflects the cost to replace the damaged property with new property of comparable material and quality, without any deduction for depreciation.

Agreed Loss Settlement (Total Loss)

If the property is completely destroyed by an insured loss, you receive the full amount of insurance for your home, minus any applicable deductible.

Actual Cash Value (Partial Loss)

In the event of a partial loss by an insured peril, this covers the cost to replace or repair your damaged property, with a deduction for depreciation, minus any applicable deductible.

Optional Extended Replacement Cost

In the event of a total loss by a covered peril, this option provides up to an additional 25% of your coverage amount to replace your home.

Optional coverage to protect landlords

  • Other Structures coverage
  • Personal Property coverage
  • Loss of Rents
  • Landlord Personal Injury


Contact an Agent and Get a Quote

Let an experienced agent take care of you from start to finish with Landlord and Rental Property policies. Contact a local Farmers agent today for a quote.

Landlord and Rental Property insurance issued by an insurer in the Foremost Insurance Group, 5600 Beech Tree Lane, Caledonia, MI 49316. Contact a Farmers agent for more information.

This brief summary is not a policy document. Please read the actual policy documents for your state for important details on coverages, exclusions, limits, conditions, and terms. If there is any conflict between this summary and the policy documents, the policy documents will control. Not all products, coverages and discounts are available in every state.