Home Inventory AppsKnow the Gaps
Do you know how much stuff you have? If you had to put a price on all your possessions, do you think you could ball park it?
Well, when it comes to insuring your belongings and picking coverage limits, that’s exactly what you need to do.
Whether you rent or own, your renters, condo, and/or home insurance is there to cover your stuff (among other things). Without an accurate idea of your personal possessions and their worth though, you could be carrying too much or too little insurance. That could mean costly gaps in your coverage!
That’s why it’s so crucial to take a home inventory and understand:
- What belongings you have
- How much your stuff is worth
- What limits to carry to full cover your belongings
Taking a home inventory can, admittedly, be an arduous process, even if you think you don’t own too much. Thankfully, some smart people have developed apps to make home inventories easier!
Home Inventory Made Easy
Before fancy technology came along, home inventories were just folders, packed with sheets of paper, receipts, and pictures. Thankfully, we don’t live in that primitive world anymore.
The latest home inventory apps, like those built by the Insurance Information Institute (app pictures below) and others, turn all that paperwork into a clean, organized, digital workspace. This makes it easy to keep a running list of your possessions and manage and edit your inventory whenever you like, right from your smartphone, tablet, or computer. You can:
- Build your home in a digital app, adding rooms and labeling them
- Populate each room with a list of your stuff (advanced apps even incorporate barcode scanners, to add items even faster)
- Take and add pictures for easy visual reference
- Add valuable details, like price, purchase date, serial number, and description, for each item
- Scan receipts and documents for more detail
- Upload warranty information, so you know if a damaged or destroyed item is under warranty
- Sort items by room, name, description, purchase date, value, etc.
- Quickly total your personal possession value, for a better view of your coverage needs
- Spot under-insured items, like valuables, jewelry, and antiques. (Discuss those with your Farmers Agent, to learn about coverages for valuables.)
- Store, backup, and password protect your inventory for full peace of mind
A home inventory is an incredibly helpful thing to have and maintain over the years. A comprehensive list of your belongings and their values can:
- Help you determine appropriate coverage limits
- Speed up the claims process
- Help verify losses to your income tax return
Whether or not you use any of these helpful apps, it’s important to take a home inventory, whatever way works for you. Once you have an idea of your coverage needs though, speak to a Farmers Agent about updating your home, condo, or renters insurance.
No technology or app is better at helping you spot and fill gaps that may be hiding in your coverage, than a Farmers Agent.
The information contained in this page is provided for general informational purposes only. The information is provided by Farmers and while we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to this article or the information, products, services or related graphics, if any, contained in this article for any purpose. The information is not meant as professional or expert advice, and any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.