Is homeowners insurance required in Arkansas?
No law requires you to have home insurance in Arkansas. But, your mortgage lender, if you have one, will usually require it.
Generally, how much is homeowners insurance in Arkansas?
In Arkansas, the average premium for home insurance was $1,456 per year1 in 2019, according to the most data recent available from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC). Keep in mind that insurance premiums have changed in most states since then. Also, the exact amount you pay will depend on specific details about your property, such as the value of your home, its age and location the risks specific to your area and how much coverage you select.
What does homeowners insurance typically cover in Arkansas?
Every policy is different, but home insurance policies in Arkansas typically come with several standard coverages.
- Dwelling (Coverage A). This coverage helps you pay for damage to your home from a covered event, such as a fire, windstorm, lightning, or hail.
- Other structures (Coverage B). This coverage is intended to cover structures that aren’t connected to your home, like a fence or shed.
- Personal property (Coverage C). This coverage helps you repair or replace your personal belongings, if they are stolen or damaged.
- Loss of use, or additional living expense coverage (Coverage D). This coverage can help you pay to stay somewhere else, if your home is uninhabitable due to covered damage.
- Personal liability (Coverage E). This coverage helps pay for accidental property damage or injuries you cause through negligence.
Typical homeowners insurance policies in Arkansas cover damage caused by:
- Vandalism and theft
- Lightning strikes
- Falling objects
- The weight of snow or ice
Flooding, a common risk in Arkansas, is not covered. Special flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program may be available. Earthquakes, which are not rare in Arkansas, aren’t covered either, but earthquake insurance may be available.
Farmers Flex Personal Home coverage in Arkansas
Beyond the basic coverages, Farmers Flex Personal Home policies offers a wide range of options that let you customize your policy, such as:
- Guaranteed Replacement Cost
- Water Backup and Sump Overflow
- Emergency Mortgage Assistance
- Declining Deductibles®
- Claim Forgiveness
Arkansas home insurance discounts
Farmers® also offers a variety of savings opportunities for eligible home insurance customers in Arkansas, including:
- Welcome Discount
- Home Buyer Discount
- Multi-Policy Discount
- Loyalty Discount
- Claim Free Discount
See more information and additional discounts that may be available in Arkansas.
The Northern Mockingbird
Gifted mimics, northern mockingbirds can sing several hundred songs and imitate the sounds of other birds, machinery, and at least 12 species of frogs and toads. — National Audubon Society
More coverage options in Arkansas
Arkansas car insurance
Find out minimum state requirements for auto insurance in Arkansas, available discounts and more.
Learn From Experience
Read more about home ownership and insuring your home.
When a Car Damages Your House
When a driver is at fault and it results in damages to your property, the driver's insurance policy would likely cover it, subject to policy terms and limits.
Is There Anything Umbrella Insurance Doesn’t Cover?
As you might know, a personal umbrella gives you extra liability coverage — in addition to the coverage you already have on your home and auto policies. Liability insurance helps cover your financial responsibility for injury to others and damage to their property.
Renovation Regrets? This Is How, Why and Where Renovations Can Go Wrong.
To plan a perfect renovation, homeowners can spend hours curating dreamy inspiration boards of trendy designs and spectacular finishes. But what happens when the dream doesn’t match reality?
1 Based on the average premium for HO-3 open perils homeowners policies.