How much does homeowners insurance generally cost in Virginia?
In Virginia, the average premium for home insurance was $1,107 per year1, less than the national average of $1,311, according to 2020 data (the most recent available) from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC). Keep in mind that premiums in many states have changed since then. Also, the amount you pay will depend on specific details about your property, such as the value of your home, its age and location and risks in your area, as well as the coverage choices and deductible you select.
Is homeowners insurance required in Virginia?
No, Virginia doesn’t require homeowners insurance. However, in order to get a home loan, your mortgage lender will likely require you to obtain a certain amount of insurance coverage.
What does homeowners insurance typically cover in Virginia?
Every policy is different, but home insurance policies in Virginia typically come with several standard coverages.
- Dwelling (Coverage A). This coverage helps you pay for damage to your home from a covered event, such as a fire, windstorm, lightning or hail.
- Other structures (Coverage B). This coverage is intended to help cover structures that aren’t connected to your home, like a fence or shed.
- Personal property (Coverage C). This coverage helps you repair or replace your personal belongings if they are stolen or damaged.
- Loss of use, or additional living expense coverage (Coverage D). This coverage can help you pay to stay somewhere else if your home is uninhabitable due to covered damage.
- Personal liability (Coverage E). This coverage helps pay for accidental property damage or injuries you cause through negligence.
Typical home insurance policies in Virginia cover damage caused by:
- Vandalism and theft
- Lightning strikes
- Falling objects
- The weight of snow or ice
Flooding, a common risk in parts of Texas, is not covered. However, special flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) may be available.
Home insurance coverage options in Virginia
Farmers® gives you multiple options for covering your home and personal property. You can customize your policy to suit your lifestyle and dwelling type:
- Single-family home
- Mobile or manufactured
- Seasonal or vacation
- Rental property
- Older home
Virginia home insurance discounts
Farmers® offers a variety of savings opportunities for eligible home insurance customers in Virginia, including:
- Protective devices
See more information and additional discounts that may be available in Virginia.
Both males and females feed their babies. The male sings to defend his nesting territory, attacking intruders — and even his own reflection in a window or mirror. — National Audubon Society
More coverage options in Virginia
Learn From Experience
Read more about home insurance and taking care of your home with real-life stories from homeowners and pros.
1 Based on average premium for HO-3 type open perils homeowners policies.