Is homeowners insurance required in Arizona?
No, homeowners insurance is not required by law in Arizona. However, in order to get a home loan, your mortgage lender will likely require you to obtain a certain amount of insurance coverage.
What does homeowners insurance typically cover in Arizona?
Every policy is different, but home insurance policies in Arizona typically come with several standard coverages.
- Dwelling (Coverage A). This coverage helps you pay for damage to your home from a covered event, such as a fire, windstorm, lightning or hail.
- Other structures (Coverage B). This coverage is intended to cover structures that aren’t connected to your home, like a fence or shed.
- Personal property (Coverage C). This coverage helps you repair or replace your personal belongings if they are stolen or damaged.
- Loss of use or additional living expense coverage (Coverage D). This coverage can help you pay to stay somewhere else if your home is uninhabitable due to covered damage.
- Personal liability (Coverage E). This coverage helps pay for accidental property damage or injuries you cause through negligence.
Typical home insurance policies in Arizona cover damage caused by:
- Vandalism and theft
- Lightning strikes
- Falling objects
- The weight of snow or ice
In Arizona, one of the biggest hazards — flash flooding caused by monsoons — is not covered. However, special flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program may be available.
How much does homeowners insurance generally cost in Arizona?
The average premium for home insurance coverage in Arizona is $850 per year(See Disclosure)1, according to a 2019 report (the most recent data available) by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC). Keep in mind that insurance premiums in most states have changed since then. Also, the amount you pay may be different depending on things like the value and age of your home, how much personal property you want to cover, what deductible you choose and risks specific to your area.
Farmers Flex Personal Home coverage in Arizona
Beyond the basic coverages, Farmers Flex Personal Home offers a wide range of options that let you customize your policy, such as:
- Guaranteed Replacement Cost
- Water Backup and Sump Overflow
- Emergency Mortgage Assistance
- Declining Deductibles
- Claim Forgiveness
Arizona home insurance discounts
Farmers® offers a variety of savings opportunities for eligible home insurance customers in Arizona, including:
- Welcome Discount
- Home Buyer Discount
- Multi-Policy Discount
- Loyalty Discount
- Claim Free Discount
See more information and additional discounts that may be available in Arizona.
The Cactus Wren
The state bird’s genus name — Campylorhynchus — is derived from the Greek words for "curved beak." —American Bird Conservancy
More coverage options in Arizona
Arizona renters insurance
Renters insurance in Arizona can help cover what your landlord’s insurance policy doesn’t, such as furniture, electronics and other personal belongings.
Learn From Experience
Read real-life stories about insurance, renovations, home safety and more from pros and homeowners like you.
1 Based on average premium for HO-3 type open perils homeowners policies.