How much does homeowners insurance generally cost in Tennessee?
The average premium for home insurance coverage in Tennessee is $1,296 per year1, according to a 2020 report (the most recent available) by the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC). That’s slightly lower than the national average of $1,311, according to the same report. However, insurance costs in most states have changed since then. Keep in mind: the amount you pay may be different depending on things like the value and age of your home, how much personal property you want to cover, what deductible you choose and risks specific to your area.
What does homeowners insurance in Tennessee cover?
In Tennessee, home insurance policies typically come with several standard coverages. But remember, every policy is different.
- Dwelling (Coverage A). This coverage helps you pay for damage to your home from a covered event, such as a fire, windstorm, lightning or hail.
- Other structures (Coverage B). This coverage is intended to cover structures that aren’t connected to your home, like a fence or shed.
- Personal property (Coverage C). This coverage helps you repair or replace your personal belongings if they are stolen or damaged.
- Loss of use, or additional living expense coverage (Coverage D). This coverage can help you pay to stay somewhere else if your home is uninhabitable due to covered damage.
- Personal liability (Coverage E). This coverage helps pay for accidental property damage or injuries you cause through negligence.
Typical homeowners insurance policies in Tennessee cover damage caused by:
- Vandalism and theft
- Lightning strikes
- Falling objects
- The weight of snow or ice
Flooding, a common risk in parts of Tennessee, is not covered. However, special flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) may be available.
Farmers Flex Personal Home coverage in Tennessee
Beyond the basic coverages, Farmers Flex Personal Home offers a wide range of options that let you customize your policy, such as:
- Guaranteed Replacement Cost
- Water Backup and Sump Overflow
- Emergency Mortgage Assistance
- Declining Deductibles®
- Claim Forgiveness
Tennessee home insurance discounts
Farmers® offers a variety of savings opportunities for eligible home insurance customers in Tennessee, including:
- Welcome Discount
- Home Buyer Discount
- Multi-Policy Discount
- Loyalty Discount
- Claim Free Discount
See more information and additional discounts that may be available in Tennessee.
Famous for its varied song repertoire, Tennessee’s state bird likes to imitate sounds it hears frequently and often sings all night during nesting season. — Audubon Guide to North American Birds
More coverage options in Tennessee
Learn From Experience
Read more about owning a home — and protecting it — with these real-life stories from homeowners and pros.
1 Based on average premium for HO-3 type open perils homeowners policies.