Should I Consider Renters Insurance Coverage While Living in an Apartment?

Should I Consider Renters Insurance Coverage While Living in an Apartment?

Should I Consider Renters Insurance Coverage While Living in an Apartment?

Quick take: Should I consider insurance if I’m renting an apartment?

  • Renters policies are designed to insure your belongings and your liability for injury to others or damage to their property.
  • Insurance coverage for renters can be affordable.
  • As a renter, you should take an inventory and select insurance to cover the items you want.

Question I just moved into my first apartment and my budget is tight. I don't own the property, and my landlord has coverage. Should I consider getting renters insurance?  

We posed this question to Tina Virola, an agent based Hartford, Connecticut. Here's what she had to say:

Answer Congratulations on your new apartment! Moving can be costly, and although you're still adjusting to your budget to accommodate the rent, getting renters insurance is something you should consider.

I discuss renters insurance with renters — whether you are renting an apartment, a condo, a manufactured home or a house. Sometimes there's an assumption that the landlord's insurance will cover your things, but that typically only provides coverage for the building itself.

Renters insurance, on the other hand, covers your personal belongings if damage results from covered losses like fire, burglary or vandalism. (Subject, of course, to the terms, conditions and provisions of the renters policy.) Often renters don't realize the full extent of their possessions — which could include things like appliances, furniture, electronics, bedding, clothing, art, instruments and so on—or how much of a financial hit it would be if you lost many of these things at once.

The good news is that since you don't obtain coverage for the property itself, the cost of renters' insurance can be fairly affordable.

How much renters insurance coverage should I consider?

To determine the coverage that's right for you, it helps to take an inventory of your possessions. Not incidentally, this also can make things easier if you ever do need to file a claim or verify losses for tax purposes.

You can either create a written inventory or simply walk around your home videotaping your stuff. Either way, it should include a description of the item (especially important in a written inventory), serial number (where applicable), purchase date and the estimated value.

Once you've got the inventory, I always tell customers to upload it into at least two different places and check back in occasionally to update it. That way, you won't be stressed about remembering details when you're potentially already stressed out after a loss. It also helps to hold onto receipts for expensive purchases.

You may want to consider if you want to add an endorsement or additional rider for expensive items, such as jewelry or fine art. Talk to an insurance agent if you have any questions about insurance options or coverage.

Farmers Renters

Find out why renters
insurance from
Farmers is a smart

The information contained in this page is provided for general informational purposes only. The information is provided by Farmers® and while we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to this article or the information, products, services or related graphics, if any, contained in this article for any purpose. The information is not meant as professional or expert advice, and any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.

Produced on behalf of the following specific insurers and seeking to obtain business for insurance underwritten by Farmers Insurance Exchange, Fire Insurance Exchange, Truck Insurance Exchange, Mid-Century Insurance Company, Civic Property and Casualty Company, Exact Property and Casualty Company, Neighborhood Property and Casualty Company, and their affiliates. In Texas, insurance is underwritten by Farmers Insurance Exchange, Fire Insurance Exchange, Truck Insurance Exchange, Mid-Century Insurance Company, Texas County Mutual Insurance Company, Mid-Century Insurance Company of Texas, and Texas Farmers Insurance Company. In New York, insurance is underwritten by Farmers Insurance Exchange, Truck Insurance Exchange, Mid-Century Insurance Company, and Farmers New Century Insurance Company, home office Los Angeles, California.

Life insurance is issued by Farmers New World Life Insurance Company, 3003 77th Ave. SE, Mercer Island, WA 98040.

Each insurer has sole financial responsibility for its own insurance products. Visit for a complete list of companies. Not all insurers are authorized to provide insurance in all states. Not all products, coverages, and discounts are available in every state. Restrictions, exclusions, limits, and conditions apply. See agents for details.

Related articles