Is home insurance required in Illinois?
No. Illinois doesn’t require you to have home insurance. But it’s likely that your mortgage lender, if you have one, will require it to protect their investment in your home.
What does home insurance typically cover in Illinois?
Every policy is different, but home insurance policies in Illinois typically come with several standard coverages.
- Dwelling (Coverage A). This coverage helps you pay for damage to your home from a covered event, such as a fire, windstorm, lightning or hail.
- Other structures (Coverage B). This coverage is intended to cover structures that aren’t connected to your home, like a fence or shed.
- Personal property (Coverage C). This coverage helps you repair or replace your personal belongings if they are stolen or damaged.
- Loss of use, or additional living expense coverage (Coverage D). This coverage can help you pay to stay somewhere else if your home is uninhabitable due to covered damage.
- Personal liability (Coverage E). This coverage helps pay for accidental property damage or injuries you cause through negligence.
Typical home insurance policies in Illinois cover damage caused by:
- Vandalism and theft
- Lightning strikes
- Falling objects
- The weight of snow or ice
Flooding, a risk in parts of Illinois, is not covered, but special flood insurance through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) may be available.
Farmers Flex Personal Home coverage in Illinois
Beyond the basic coverages, Farmers Flex Personal Home offers a wide range of options that let you customize your policy, such as:
- Guaranteed Replacement Cost
- Water Backup and Sump Overflow
- Emergency Mortgage Assistance
- Declining Deductibles®
- Claim Forgiveness
What does home insurance in Illinois generally cost?
Illinois homeowners paid an average premium of $1,144 per year1, according to 2020 data (the most recent available) from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC). However, insurance premiums in most states have changed since then. In addition, the amount you pay will depend on specific details about your home, such as its value, age, condition and risks in your location. It will also reflect the coverage choices and deductible you select.
Illinois home insurance discounts
Farmers® offers a variety of savings opportunities for eligible home insurance customers in Illinois, including:
- Welcome Discount
- Home Buyer Discount
- Multi-Policy Discount
- Loyalty Discount
- Claim Free Discount
See more information and additional discounts that may be available in Illinois.
The Northern Cardinal
Both males and females of this colorful species — the state bird — feed their babies. The male sings to defend its nesting territory, attacking intruders and even his own reflection in a window or mirror. — National Audubon Society
More coverage options in Illinois
Learn From Experience
Read real-life stories about insurance, renovations, home safety and more from pros and homeowners like you.
1 Based on average premium for HO-3 type open perils homeowners policies.