Uninsured CoverageAuto Smarts
Watch Your Rear End! Uninsured Motorist Coverage Protects You If They’re Not Protected
In almost every state in the union, drivers have to buy liability insurance to stay legal. But did you know that 1 in 8 drivers out there are hitting the streets completely uninsured?
According to the Insurance Information Institute, about 87% of drivers are good boys and girls who have at least basic liability coverage. The other 13%? Not so much.
So what does all this mean for you decent, legal drivers?
Well, it means that if you got into an accident with an uninsured driver, you’d be up a creek without an insurance company. There’d be no one to send a claim to, or recoup money for repairs, medical bills, and property damage from…except, of course, the driver. And we don’t have to tell you, that usually means frustrating phone calls, four letter words, and maybe legal action.
That’s why it’s important to protect yourself from those headaches and purchase Uninsured Motorist Liability Coverage. That includes:
- Uninsured Motorist Bodily Injury Coverage - covers your medical expenses, lost wages, emotional distress, pain and suffering…that sort of thing. But it doesn’t cover car damages resulting from the collision.
- Uninsured Motorist Property Damage Coverage - covers damages to your vehicle but it wouldn’t cover bodily injuries.
In 22 states, plus Washington D.C, laws actually require drivers to have Uninsured Auto insurance. Others, like California, offer the coverage as an extra option for mandatory liability insurance.
Wherever you live though, uninsured drivers are a serious danger…and when is it not a good idea to protect yourself from danger? Just look around the next time you’re on the road (use your mirrors…we don’t want you taking your eyes off the road). Statistically, 1 out of every 8 drivers you pass has no insurance!
That’s why we encourage you to get smarter about your insurance, and consider adding Uninsured Auto insurance to your policy. It’s usually a pretty affordable option, and could save you money, time, and stress if you’re ever hit by an uninsured, negligent driver.
The information contained in this page is provided for general informational purposes only. The information is provided by Farmers and its partners, and while we endeavor to keep the information up to date and correct, we make no representations or warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability, suitability or availability with respect to this article or the information, products, services or related graphics, if any, contained in this article for any purpose. The information is not meant as professional or expert advice, and any reliance you place on such information is therefore strictly at your own risk.