Sometimes even good dogs bite. And when they do, you can be held liable. The Insurance Institute estimates that up to one-third of homeowner liability claims are for dog attacks. What to do:
- Make sure the injured person gets prompt medical attention.
- Exchange names, addresses and phone numbers.
- Tell the person who was bitten to save medical receipts. Assure them that someone from your insurance company will contact them.
- Call your Farmers agent. Provide the information about the incident, the name and phone number of the victim and have your policy number on hand.
- Report the dog bite to your local animal control center.
Remember, you can always call Farmers HelpPoint at 1-800-435-7764 for assistance when you need it most.