Additional Living Expenses

Call us anytime, day or night - 1-800-435-7764. or get help online.

Home Repair Resources

Claims Chat

Do you have a claims related question?  Chat now to get help. 

Chat will be unavailable on May 30th in observance of Memorial Day.

Temporary living arrangements usually cost more than living in your own home. Coverage for additional living expenses (ALE) helps pay the reasonable increase in everyday costs when you can’t live in your home because of a covered event.

The amount of ALE coverage provided by your policy is listed on the declarations page under Coverage D. Your claims representative can help locate vendors and services that meet your family’s needs during this time. 

Examples of what may be covered

  • Food

  • Utilities

  • Mileage

  • Laundry

  • Pet boarding

  • Moving and storage

  • Temporary lodging

ALE Claims Process

  • Your claims representative explains whether ALE applies to your claim

  • The representative helps you calculate your normal living expenses

  • You keep receipts for all covered expenses and provide them at the agreed-upon time

  •  We issue payment due to you under the terms of your policy

Tips for Collecting Food Receipts

  • Save the paper register receipt provided.  If the business offers electronic receipts, have one emailed to you as a backup.
  • Confirm the receipt is complete and legible before leaving the restaurant.  If it is not, ask for another copy.
  • Make copies or take pictures of all receipts for your records.
  • If enjoying a meal with other family members that do not live with you or with friends, be sure to ask for separate receipts


More Claim Resources

Coverage up to $150 per incident (see your agent in TX, VA and NC for program limits). If cost of service exceeds your program limit, you may submit reasonable and necessary towing and labor invoice for reimbursement. Not available with all Companies and in all areas. Sign and Drive coverage is extended to Farmers policyholders only. If you are a Bristol West policyholder, please see your agent or broker for coverage details.

Services are provided by and/or through Cross Country Motor Club, Inc., except Alaska, California, Hawaii, Oregon, Wisconsin and Wyoming where services are provided by and/or through Cross Country Motor Club of California, Inc. Thousand Oaks, CA 91360.