Do you have a claims related question? Chat now to get help.
Chat will be unavailable on May 30th in observance of Memorial Day.
If you are ever in an accident, would you know what information you need to file a claim? Make sure you are prepared ahead of time.
Things To Consider If You Are Involved In a Car Accident
1. Safety first
Be aware of your personal safety and others at the accident scene first. If there are any injuries or the roadway is blocked, call 911 immediately.
2. Keep calm
Emotions may run high in the aftermath of a car accident. In spite of this, it’s important to remain calm and stay focused at the task at hand:
3. Exchange information
Take good notes. Keep a pad and pencil in your glove compartment or use your cell phone to document the following:
- Name, addresses and phone numbers of all drivers and passengers involved in the accident
- Car license number, make and model of each vehicle involved in the accident
- Vehicle operator’s driver license number, insurance company and policy number
- Names and addresses of as many witnesses as possible
- Names and badge numbers of police officers
4. Document damage
Take photos of the accident scene and vehicle damage. Record the details of the accident while they are fresh in your memory. Draw a diagram to recreate the scene.
5. File a police report
Even if no one is hurt from the accident, you should always contact the police and file an accident report. You might need it when you file a claim.
6. Report your claim
Other Claims Topics