Insurance Discounts FAQ
Frequently asked questions about our insurance discounts. Topics include:
What kinds of Auto insurance discounts does Farmers offer?
Farmers offers many Auto insurance discounts to help keep your auto insurance premiums as low as possible. Discounts vary by state. Some of the types of discounts available include:
- Auto/Home: You can save money on both auto and homeowners insurance by purchasing both of these policies from Farmers.
- Good Student: Drivers under 25 years of age who are full-time students in high school or college and have good grades may qualify.
- Multi-Car: If you own two or more vehicles and insure both of them with Farmers, you may qualify for the Multi-Car discount.
- Alternative Fuel - Owners who drive hybrids and other alternative fuel vehicles may save 5% on all major coverages.
Contact your local Farmers agent to discuss your own individual needs.
What kinds of Home insurance discounts does Farmers offer?
Depending on your state, Farmers offers a variety of Home insurance discounts to help you save. For example, you can save with:
- Multi-Line Discounts (Auto/Home, Home/Life) – insure your Auto, Home and Life with Farmers and receive discounts on bother your Auto and Home insurance.
- Non-smoker discount – save if you have a non-smoking household.
- Business/Professional Group Discount – a discount on your Home policy will apply if you are employed with or retired from an approved occupation or professional group and meet the eligibility criteria.
- And more!
Contact your local Farmers agent to inquire about ways to save on Home insurance in your state.
How do I submit documents to ensure my policy coverage and discounts reflect my choices?
Understanding the coverage and discount options that are available can help you make smarter choices and possibly save you money. Your local Farmers agent can review your policy and help you choose the right options for you. In order to maintain the coverage you've selected and ensure all discounts are included with your policy, certain documents need to be completed and submitted as soon as possible.
Here are some of the documents that you may need to provide in order to maintain your coverage and discounts:
- Application of Insurance
- Subscription Agreement
- Coverage selection/rejection forms
- Verification of your occupation
- Report cards/transcripts for the immediately preceding term or cumulative GPA for youthful drivers (auto insurance)
- Verification of the year of replacement of your home's roof, heating, electrical or plumbing systems (homeowners insurance)
A convenient way to complete and submit documents is via Farmers eSignature. This allows you to electronically provide signatures or upload other documents. If you opt-in to eSignature, you'll receive a welcome email along with the information needed to access eSignature. If you haven't enrolled and wish to do so, your Farmers agent can opt you in.
Or if you prefer, you can send the required documents to your agent directly. Your agent will guide you through this process and make sure you have the information you need to complete and submit your documents.
Whatever method you use, be sure to provide the required documents as soon as you can to prevent unwanted changes to your policy and discount choices.
Farmers currently offers discounts in these categories:
Alternative Fuel Vehicle Discount: Vehicles eligible for an insurance discount are dedicated fuel vehicle designed to use an alternative fuel as defined in the Federal Energy Policy Act ("EPact") of 1992 or an electric and gasoline hybrid vehicle. Qualified vehicles include hybrid, electric, natural gas, methane and propane.
Anti-Theft Discount: Receive a discount if your vehicle is equipped with an authorized anti-theft protection device provided by the manufacturer of a vehicle as original equipment or an authorized dealer. The device must be self-activating upon locking the vehicle's doors.
Business/Professional Group Discount: Discount on your Auto policy will apply if you are employed with or retired from an approved occupation or professional group and meet the eligibility criteria.
Auto/Home Discount: Get a discount on your auto insurance policy if you also have a Farmers Homeowners or Condominium policy.
Auto/Life Discount: Get a discount on your auto insurance policy if you also have a Farmers Life insurance policy.
Auto/Renters Discount: Get a discount on your auto insurance policy if you also have a Farmers Renters policy.
Auto/Umbrella Discount: Get a discount on your auto insurance policy if you also have a Farmers Umbrella policy.
Electronic Funds Transfer Discount: Get a discount on your auto insurance policy if you pay your premium by Automatic Bank Payment (EFT).
ePolicy Discount: Get a discount on your auto insurance policy if you enroll in electronic document delivery.
Good Student Discount: To qualify for the good student discount, the driver must be 16 to 24 years of age and either a full-time high school student or enrolled as a full-time college or university student. The driver will have to provide documentation that they are:
- A full time student, and
- The school academic records for the previous school semester or quarter (or comparable segment) show the student:
- Ranked scholastically in the upper 20% of his or her class, or
- Had a grade point average of “B” or better for the immediately preceding term or cumulative in schools designating grades by letter (no grade below “B” if such systems cannot be averaged), or
- Had an average of at least 3.0 for immediately preceding term or cumulative for all subjects combined in a school using numerical (4, 3, 2 and 1) grade points, or
- Was included in the “Dean’s List”, the “Honor Roll” or similar list in a school maintaining such a list designating scholastic achievement.
Homeownership Discount: Get a discount on your auto insurance policy if you own your home.
Multi-Car Discount: Available to households that have two or more vehicles insured with Farmers.
Paid in Full Discount: Get a discount on your auto insurance policy if you pay the entire premium due in advance of the policy term.
Safe Driver Discount: This discount is available in select states for those with a clean driving record.
Senior Defensive Driver Discount: To qualify for this discount the principal operator must be at least 65 years of age or, in some states, 55 years of age and have successfully completed a Driver's Education course approved by the Department of Motor Vehicles. A certificate of completion from the approved agency must be provided.
Here are a few of our Home insurance discounts:
Business/Professional Group Discount: Discount on your Homeowners policy will apply if you are employed with or retired from an approved occupation or professional group and meet the eligibility criteria.
Home Renovation Discount: This discount is available to homeowners who have had a major system, such as plumbing, electrical, or heating/air conditioning, fully replaced by a qualified contractor.
Non-smoker: Get a discount if all residents of your household have not smoke tobacco products in the past two years.
New Home: If your home was constructed during the current calendar year and within the last nine calendar years, you could be eligible for a discount.
Home/Auto Discount: Get a discount on your home insurance policy if you also have a qualifying Farmers insurance policy. (Please contact your local Farmers agent for additional qualifying policy details.)
Home/Life Discount: Get a discount on your home insurance policy if you also have a qualifying Farmers Life insurance policy.
Renters/Auto Discount: Get a discount on your renters insurance policy if you also have a Farmers Auto insurance policy.
Protective Devices: Discounts are available for insured homes equipped with qualifying burglar and fire protection devices such as central station alarms and interior automatic fire sprinkler systems.
ePolicy Discount: Get a discount on your home insurance policy if you enroll in electronic document delivery.
New Roof Discount: Get a discount on your home insurance policy if your roof was recently replaced.
UL Approved Roof Discount: Get a discount on your home insurance policy if your roof has an Underwriting Laboratories impact resistance rating of UL3 or UL4.