What Does RentersJust like Homeowners insurance, Renters insurance
is there to cover your:
- Personal Possessions
- Personal Liability
- Medical Payments
- Additional Living Expenses
Renters Insurance Coverage from Farmers
Right off the bat, Farmers Renters insurance goes to work covering your:
- You choose the amount of coverage based on the value of what you own, including furniture, clothing, electronics, appliances, etc.
- Your possessions are covered anywhere in the world.
- Coverage is on a named-peril (e.g. fire, theft, etc.) basis, which means that you’re covered for losses resulting from only the causes listed in your policy.
- Renters insurance provides you, and your family living with you, Liability coverage when you’re legally responsible for someone’s bodily injury or property damage resulting from an accident, negligent acts by you or household members (on or off premises), and the acts of pets.
- For example, you’ll be covered if you leave a pair of shoes in the stairwell that trips a guest on his or her way down the stairs.
- Coverage includes costs to resolve claims or defend lawsuits brought against you.
Pays necessary medical costs for people (other than residents of your household) accidentally injured at your residence or elsewhere due to your activities or due to your pet, regardless of liability, up to the coverage limit stated in your policy.
Additional Living Expenses
If the home you rent is damaged and becomes uninhabitable, you may need to temporarily live somewhere else while your residence is being repaired. Your Renters policy will pay for the reasonable and necessary increase in living expenses (housing, food, etc.) you incur to maintain your normal standard of living while your residence is being repaired, or until you permanently relocate after a covered loss, subject to 12 or 24 months, depending on your policy type.
For more personalized coverage, Farmers offers a variety of additional articles and optional coverages which you can add to your Renters policy, like:
- Replacement Cost
Replacement Cost coverage pays the cost of repairing or replacing damaged or stolen items without deducting for depreciation. For instance, if a camera you bought three years ago is stolen, this coverage would provide you the current market value to replace the item, rather than paying you the actual cash value of the camera after three years of use (usually less than market value due to depreciation).
- Identity Shield
There are as many as nine million identity theft cases in the U.S. every year. Farmers Identity Shield helps you to resolve identity fraud, provides compensation for time and loss up to the stated limits, performs credit monitoring, provides assistance with notifying credit bureaus of the fraud, and assists in replacing important documents. Identity Shield also provides access to an advocate who will guide you through the identity recovery process.
This brief summary is not a policy document. Please read the actual policy documents for your state for important details on coverages, exclusions, limits, conditions and terms. If there is any conflict between this summary and the policy documents, the policy documents will control. Not all products and discounts are available in every state.
New York, Texas and Washington:
Insurance is underwritten by Farmers Insurance Exchange or an affiliated insurance company. Visit Farmers.com for a complete listing of companies. In New York, Renters insurance is underwritten by Truck Insurance Exchange. In Texas, Renters insurance is underwritten by Fire Insurance Exchange. In Washington, Renters insurance is underwritten by Farmers Insurance Exchange and Farmers Insurance Company of Washington. Each insuring entity has sole financial responsibility for its own products. This is not a policy but a general description and is not an offer to insure. All coverages are subject to the terms, provisions, exclusions, and conditions in the policy itself and any endorsements. Not all coverages and discounts are available in all states. Limitations may apply. Please note that if you are already insured with Farmers Insurance, contact your Farmers agent for a review of your policy(ies).