Earthquake InsuranceMost home insurance policies don’t include Earthquake insurance.
However, separate Earthquake coverage is available in most states.
Learn the facts, and see your Farmers agent for
Does Your Policy Cover Earthquakes?
5 Facts About Earthquakes and Earthquake Insurance
- Rates for Earthquake insurance can vary significantly.
- In earthquake-prone areas, the cost of this insurance is relatively high. In other areas, it is relatively inexpensive.
- In California, Earthquake insurance is issued by an independent organization, the California Earthquake Authority (CEA). CEA policies are available through your Farmers® agent.
- There is no way to predict exactly when or where an earthquake will occur. Seismologists can say that numerous minor to moderate earthquakes will be felt in the United States in the next year or two and that a major one will occur within the next 25 years.
- It is estimated that a major earthquake in a populated area of the United States could cause as much as $200 billion in losses.
Do You Need Earthquake Insurance?
Here are some questions to ask yourself when considering coverage:
- Is my home covered if an earthquake does occur?
- Can I afford the cost of rebuilding or repairing my home if damaged as the result of an earthquake?
- What would it cost to replace my personal belongings damaged as a result of an earthquake?
- How would I pay for temporary housing if an earthquake causes structural damage to my home or makes it uninhabitable?
Learn More About Earthquake Preparation and Safety
Beyond Earthquake insurance, there are other ways to be prepared. View more Earthquake Safety Tips and Information.
Don’t put your home at risk. Consider working with a contractor to make your home more stable, secure, and resistant to damage from earthquakes. Learn the 3 Common Upgrades to Get Your Home Earthquake Ready.
No one can predict exactly where or when earthquakes will happen. We do know that when it does happen, an earthquake can cause major damage to public and your personal property. Therefore, if you live in earthquake country, you must be prepared. For more information on Earthquake insurance, contact a local Farmers agent today.
This brief summary is not a policy document. Please read the actual policy documents for your state for important details on coverages, exclusions, limits, conditions and terms. If there is any conflict between this summary and the policy documents, the policy documents will control. Not all products and discounts are available in every state.